MS Advanced Materials Engineering
A material is a substance or matter which can be used to make different things or products. For example, iron is a metallic material from which we can make different things. Metals, wood, fibers, yarns, fabrics, polymers, ceramics etc. are different materials from which different useful products can be made.
Materials are broadly split into four main groups: metals, polymers, ceramics, and composites. All fibers (and yarns or fabrics made from them) are polymers, hence comprise a type of materials. A composite material is a material made from two or more constituent materials with significantly different physical or chemical properties that, when combined, produce a material with characteristics different (often better) from the individual components.
Advanced materials are those materials, which represent advances over the traditional materials that have been used for hundreds or even thousands of years. From this perspective, advanced materials refer to all new materials and modifications to existing materials to obtain superior performance in one or more characteristics that are critical for the application under consideration.
Materials engineering is all about the design, development and characterization of different materials, which may be further used for making different useful products.
The scope of advanced materials engineering includes, but is not limited to: development of new polymers or fibers with superior properties; development of nanofibers for different applications; development and incorporation of nanoparticles in polymers and fibrous materials for obtaining better properties; development of new composite fibers by combining two or more different polymers, or by combining polymers with nanoparticles; modification of current polymers or fibers for superior properties; development of new yarns or fabrics using advanced fibers for better performance properties; development of composite structures using fiber or fabric reinforcements and polymer matrix; use of advanced materials for making useful products, such as wearable electronics, bullet-resistant vest; sports composites; automobile parts; furniture; functional apparel and so on.
MS Advanced Materials Engineering programme aims to produce postgraduates who can:
- Design, develop and characterize advanced materials and products with superior performance and for novel applications.
- Relate the physical and chemical structure of materials to their macroscopic properties governed by manufacturing and processing techniques.
- Provide insight into material’s requirements for current scientific and commercial applications.
- Use their in-depth understanding of material’s properties and behaviour in order to envisage and devise novel applications, particularly for high technology materials.
- Develop diagnostic and novel approaches to technological problems and shortcoming through interdisciplinary utilization of materials.
- Develop critical thinking, self-confidence and encourage creative/logical thinking and genuine contribution to the area.
- Appreciate technological, environmental, economical and cultural factors that may influence materials choice, manufacturing design, processing conditions and mode of application.
- Ability to systematically review, analyze and interpret the scientific literature and innovations in the areas of engineering in general and in advance materials engineering in particular.
- Ability to apply and validate innovations at the lab scale as well as industrial scale efficiently and effectively.
- Ability to conduct high quality research and to disseminate effectively the research outputs in international research journals of repute, conferences, seminars, patents, research proposals and other scientific venues.
- The ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data.
- The ability to work individually as well as in a team in a diverse environment.
BS Textile / Materials / Polymer / Mechanical / Chemical Engineering degree or any other equivalent degree from HEC/PEC recognized university / institution with minimum CGPA 2.0/4.0 or 3.0/5.0 in semester system or 60% marks in annual/term system.
The candidate will have to pass NTU GAT test.
The applicant must not be already registered as a student in any other academic program in Pakistan or abroad.
|MS Advanced Materials Engineering|
|BS Advanced Engineering||60% weightage|
|NTU GAT (General)||30% weightage|
|Certificate Verification Fee||2000||-||-||-|
|Red Crescent Donation||100||-||-||-|
|University Card Fee||300||-||-||-|
|Student Activity Fund||2000||2000||2000||2000|
* There is no Transport Fee for Hostel Resident but they will pay hostel charges